Saturday, 23 March 2013

'Basic' Beauty Buys (MAC, MUA & Collection 2000 Reviews)

Hello there!

I decided that my first post would show my progress so far in to the beauty world. 
I've just been getting serious about make-up and have been learning new techniques, so I have gradually built up my 'basics'. So, without further ado here are my 'basic' investments. 

Basic Starter Brushes from Asda Walmart
Brushes £10, Asda (Walmart)

I decided that my first purchase should be into a relatively good set of brushes. I was looking for the softest brushes that I could find (think like a cuddle for my face), but found that testing them was hard because they tend to be in impenetrable plastic cases so you can't feel them. I rejected these brushes when I first saw them, but received them for Christmas and I love them! They're supersoft, don't fall apart on my face, are easy to clean, and provide a good application. So that showed me didn't it (book, cover and all that). I was particularly impressed that they were from a supermarket. I think that in the future I would like a wider range of shapes, particularly larger brushes because there's only one brush for bronzer, blush, highlight and contouring... 


MAC Eyeliner, MAC Mascara Zoomlash, MAC liquid eyeliner

My second 'purchase' is actually a series of purchases. I succumbed to the hype about Mac products and wanted to try them.  I bought these on ebay, so that I could get a taste of them without the designer price tag. However, there is a mountain of fake MAC products on ebay, and it is near impossible to tell what is real and what is fake. I am confident that the eyeliners I bought are genuine, but I do believe that the mascara is a fake. Or I hope so. Otherwise I am very underwhelmed about the quality of MAC mascaras. That is the zoom lash mascara in the colour plushblack - first check for fake MAC products, check the colours are available in that product. ie. Zoom lash is only available in the colour Zoomblack, thus a fake. But a simple visit to the Mac website will highlight that mistake for me next time. Apparently it's much harder to spot fake pigments and eyeshadows, so maybe buying genuine products at the Mac counter is worth the extra money. 

MUA, Heaven and Earth, Available from Superdrug Stores or Website
MUA, Heaven and Earth, £4, Superdrug

My third purchase was an eyeshadow palette. I have never been a big eyeshadow person, but I decided that I wanted to have a go, and try something new and so I researched into palettes and found that the Naked palette by urban decay was popular in blogs and vlogs. However, at £25 I thought that it was slightly pricey for an experiment. I heard about this MUA palette called 'Heaven and Earth' which can be used as an alternative to the Naked palette, so I decided to buy it. I have only tried some basic looks on this, but I really like the mix of colours on the palette. Although to a rookie like me there seems to be quite a variety of colours in the palette, I do think that there should be a darker colour, maybe even a black so that you can do more of a smoky eye. However, MUA have just released a similar palette called 'Undress me too' which seems to have a few darker greys in, so I think I will be popping to Superdrug soon. 

Shimmer Shades Palette, 'Way To Glow', Collection, £4.19
Shimmer Shades Palette, 'Way To Glow', Collection, £4.19

My final 'basic' investment was into this palette which I heard about from SprinkleOfGlitter's  video about her daily makeup routine. Once again, contouring and highlighting was a new thing for me and so I didn't want to spend tonnes of money if I wasn't going to like it. And I have been pleasantly surprised by it, and I love this palette! I use A's mixed together to contour and B to highlight, as seen from the video above. They are not quite my colour, so I will probably be experimenting with different products in the future, but I would recommend this to anyone. 

Phew, that was a long post, but I feel that I have to explain everything that I've done now, otherwise future blog posts will not work without a background.
So, if you have read to the end of this post, then yay I've not bored you, and I'll be back soon!

Ciao for now x



No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...